Self - Introduction

Dear Prof Brad,

I am Nur Munirah, a year one student studying - Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) - in Singapore Institute of Technology. I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic and achieved a diploma in Electrical Engineering with Eco-Design.

Ever since young, I have the passion for solving mathematical problem sums and indulging myself with scientific facts. With these interests, I believe that deriving calculations are my greatest strengths as I excelled in elementary and additional mathematics, both pure physics and chemistry in secondary school. Hence, I decided to enter an engineering course in polytechnic as I knew that I could attain remarkable results in most modules covered during the 3 years course. Without a doubt, I decided to continue pursuing a bachelor’s degree in engineering.

As for my weaknesses, I am lacking most in communication skill. I have difficulties with writing and conversing confidently as my english is average with limited vocabulary words for usage and I have problems in identifying my grammars mistakes. I tried my best to improve my language skills however, the challenging comes in as it takes time to converse in english fluently and effortlessly. Hence, I always try to avoid private interaction between friends as I know that I will be judged by my standard language skills.

Thus, my goal in effective communication class is to polish my communication skills to a level that I will be confident to start a discussion with friends and future colleagues. After all, I enjoy engaging myself in new daily challenges as I know it will definitely build up my confidence level which I believe is the key strength to succeed in life. I believe experiences and attitude in one's body, mind, and soul are important factors that everyone should instil in themselves to be better and succeed.

I hope you can help me with my struggles and I look forward to attending your upcoming effective communication classes.

Best Regards,
Nur Munirah
SIE2016 – T5

Comments

  1. Dear Muni,

    Thank you for this fairly good reflection. I appreciate the concrete details you provide as you reflect on who you are and what your strengths and weaknesses are.

    In terms of how to improve this post, I'd suggest you do some basic editing. You need to review, for instance, your sentence structure (and subject-verb disagreement) in a few sentences:
    1. I believe that deriving calculations are my greatest strengths as I excelled in elementary and additional mathematics, both pure physics and chemistry in secondary school.
    >>>
    I believe that deriving calculations IS my greatest strengths. I excelled in elementary and additional mathematics as well as pure physics and chemistry in secondary school.
    2. I tried my best to improve my language skills however, the challenging comes in as it takes time to converse in english fluently and effortlessly.
    >>>
    I tried my best to improve my language skills. However, this was a challenge for me as it takes time to converse in English fluently and effortlessly.
    3. I believe experiences and attitude in one's body, mind, and soul are important factors that everyone should instil in themselves to be better and succeed.
    >>>
    ?

    You should also not overuse 'hence' in such a short writing assignment.

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    Regards,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mun,

    It is definitely inspiring to see that you are able to excel in this field of studies, especially when this is not my forte. I wish to learn more from you and with you.

    Cheers,

    Nicholas Tang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mun,

    Maybe you could change the sentence structure "I have difficulties with writing and conversing confidently as my english is average with limited vocabulary words for usage and I have problems in identifying my grammars mistakes." to "I have difficulties in writing, conversing and identifying my grammatical errors. My english is only average as I am limited to certain vocabulary words. "

    And I look forward to learning physics from you!

    Sincerely,
    Shannyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts